Having spoken with his widow Janet, I’m letting you all know that Frank Dineen has passed away peacefully at the age of 90 years. Frank had a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, so Jan has asked me to help her spread the news of his passing to as many of you as possible.
Frank was especially known to us for launching the Guild of Machine Knitters in March 1998. By doing so, he hoped to ensure the preservation and growth of our craft and his initial aims were to:-
1. Increase the awareness of machine knitting as a craft.
2. Provide help and encouragement to all knitters, whatever their level of ability.
3. Encourage and maintain a high standard of craftsmanship.
4. Encourage young people to take up our craft.
5. Foster these aims for individual knitters by awarding certificates of quality.
6. Organise the Guild’s own shows and exhibitions.
7. Liaise with manufacturers and suppliers, to ensure that we all worked together for the greater good of our craft.
8. Foster links between UK knitters and those overseas.
9. Promote greater media awareness.
By doing all these things and more, it was Frank’s hope that we’d strengthen the bonds between clubs, individual knitters, manufacturers and suppliers to the overall benefit of machine knitting. Membership was open to all with an interest in our craft including knitters, designers, suppliers, manufacturers and journalists – all working together for the future of our craft.
For those who would wish to know and attend, here are the details for his funeral.
His service will be held in the afternoon of Friday 2nd September at 1.00 pm at The Oaks Havant Crematorium. It’s on the outskirts of Havant in Bartons Road, just past the entrance to the Spire Portsmouth Hospital. For full details and directions by road, visit www.havantcrematorium.co.uk
For those using public transport, Havant train station is 1.7 miles away.
The funeral directors are The Co-operative Funeralcare at 96 Bedhampton Road, Bedhampton, Havant, Hampshire PO9 3EZ. Their telephone number is 02392-453549.
Jan has requested no flowers please. However, Frank had a lifelong love of birds and animals and an enduring love for greyhounds. Jan has asked that any donations in his memory should please be made to Greyhound Lifeline. For more details, please call The Co-operative Funeralcare on 02392-453549.
Frank’s funeral will mark his passing and if you’d like to attend his service, please join Jan in wearing bright colours as a celebration of his life.